The question if streaming is the next big thing for the music industry will be eventually answered by the music consumers. Several studies were conducted in past few years – most of them commissioned by music industry bodies – to assess the future potential of music streaming. It is essential for music streaming services and the copyright holders (labels and music publishers) if consumers are aware of streaming services, if they are using them frequently and if they are prepared to convert from Freemium to subscription models. Therefore the results of the studies are important indicators for the future development of the music industry. Although they provide different and even contradictory results – due to a different methodology – they help us nevertheless to understand music consumption behaviour in the digital age. In the following I would like to review some of the studies published in the past three years.
- Podiumsdiskussion: “The Blockchained Music Business” am 3.3.2017,@16:30-18:00 musikwirtschaftsforschung.wordpress.de/2017/02/23/pod… 1 day ago
- How Facebook can go from villain to hero: Pinch Vevo from YouTube musicbusinessworldwide.com/facebook-can-g… 2 weeks ago
- After 15 years of decline, France’s recorded music market returns to growth musicbusinessworldwide.com/frances-record… 2 weeks ago
- Why did Sprint pay $200m for TIDAL? musicbusinessworldwide.com/sprint-pay-200… 2 weeks ago
- Sony Music earned $1.2bn from streaming platforms in 2016 musicbusinessworldwide.com/sony-music-ear… 2 weeks ago
- Music Business Research 2016 – in retrospective
- Warner Music Group in the Digital Paradigm Shift
- Call-for-Papers: 8th Vienna Music Business Research Days, September 12-14, 2017
- Call-for-Papers: 7th Young Scholars’ Workshop of the 8th Vienna Music Business Research Days, September 12, 2017
- The fate of the CD – an international CD-market analysis
- Universal Music Group’s publishing revenues have grown 18% in two years February 23, 2017Jody Gerson has set quite the record since she took over at the top of 2015 The post Universal Music Group’s publishing revenues have grown 18% in two years appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- Universal posts record revenues for 2016 – as streaming overtakes physical sales February 23, 2017Major now pulling in $4.5m a day from streaming alone The post Universal posts record revenues for 2016 – as streaming overtakes physical sales appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- Niall Horan’s This Town surpasses 2.5m track equivalent sales worldwide February 23, 2017Song has racked up over 250m combined streams across all platforms The post Niall Horan’s This Town surpasses 2.5m track equivalent sales worldwide appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- Pandora launches personalized audio advertising with A Million Ads deal February 23, 2017Technology could offer ads based on locations and climate, for example The post Pandora launches personalized audio advertising with A Million Ads deal appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- UMG’s Michele Anthony named UJA-Federation’s Music Visionary of the Year February 23, 2017EVP of major music group to collect gong in New York on June 14 The post UMG’s Michele Anthony named UJA-Federation’s Music Visionary of the Year appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- José Luis López on Ticket Masters – Part 4: Online Ticketing and the Secondary Market
- José Luis López on The recorded music market in the US, 2000-2014
- Music Business Research 2016 – in retrospective | Music Business Research on The Recorded Music Market in Germany, 2003-2014
- Music Business Research 2016 – in retrospective | Music Business Research on Introducing our guests: Keith Harris, manager of Stevie Wonder
- Music Business Research 2016 – in retrospective | Music Business Research on Music Streaming Revisited – the International Music Streaming Market 2014
- About Me
- Article database
- Austrian Music Business Research Association (AMBRA)
- Book Bibliography
- Economics of Music
- Handbooks and dictionaries
- History of the music business/industry
- Label and company history
- Law and music business/industry
- Media and music business/industry
- Music management
- Music marketing
- Structural analysis of the music business/industry (general)
- Structural analysis of the music business/industry (genre-specific)
- International Journal of Music Business Research (IJMBR) – ISSN 2227-5789
- theses & papers
- Vienna Music Business Research Days
- Young Scholars Workshop 2017
- 350,409 hits