“Download! How the Internet Transformed the Record Business” by music industry journalist Phil Hardy is a detailed analysis how the majors record companies lost control of the value added chain in the music industry in the digital revolution. He tells the story about self-confident and maybe arrogant music business executives, who had profited from the CD revolution in the 1990s, but were outmanoeuvred by industry outsiders who set up a totally new added value network for recorded music. The once highly profitable record business that attracted investors from other industries in the 1980s and 1990s turned into a laboratory of digitalization with declining record sales, job losses and divestments of pressing plants and distribution networks in the 2000s. “Download!” is, therefore, an important contribution to understand the impact of Internet and new media on the transformation of the recorded music industry.
- Wie Blockchain & Smart Contracts die Musikbranche revolutionieren können: Musikwirtschafts-Jour-fixe am 20.… musikwirtschaftsforschung.wordpress.de/2016/06/05/wie… 3 weeks ago
- Is the Era of Free Streaming Music Coming to an End? pitchfork.com/features/artic… via @pitchfork 3 weeks ago
- Spotify must watch its spending if it wants sympathy from the music biz musicbusinessworldwide.com/spotify-must-w… 3 weeks ago
- Music World Bands Together Against YouTube, Seeking Change to Law nyti.ms/1Usa4NS 3 weeks ago
- Guvera launches $58m IPO attempt – but owes labels millions musicbusinessworldwide.com/guvera-launche… 3 weeks ago
- Music Sales acquires US publishing rights to Chubby Checker’s The Twist June 28, 2016Song hit No.1 on the Billboard hot 100 twice in the sixtiesThe post Music Sales acquires US publishing rights to Chubby Checker’s The Twist appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- Shamrock to bankroll the acquisition of legendary artist estates by JAM June 27, 2016JAM looks after the estates of Otis Redding, Kurt Cobain and The DoorsThe post Shamrock to bankroll the acquisition of legendary artist estates by JAM appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- Could the EU block Sony/ATV’s $750m Michael Jackson deal? June 27, 2016Regulators set to make decision in Europe by August 1The post Could the EU block Sony/ATV’s $750m Michael Jackson deal? appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- Roger Waters signs publishing deal with BMG, leaves Warner/Chappell June 27, 2016Hartwig Masuch calls signing a "significant milestone" for his companyThe post Roger Waters signs publishing deal with BMG, leaves Warner/Chappell appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- Sony/ATV names David Ventura sole head of UK A&R as Janice Brock resigns June 25, 2016Brock to pursue other opportunities within the music industryThe post Sony/ATV names David Ventura sole head of UK A&R as Janice Brock resigns appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- Radiohead réinvente encore le marketing musical - Newzikbox on The Radiohead Revolution?
- Honours Project Bibliography | carlsproject on The recession in the music industry – a cause analysis
- Arrrrrr Matey! | Digital Literacies | ENG 553 | Spring B 2016 on The Radiohead Revolution?
- Sources | adams economics on Is Streaming the Next Big Thing? – What Consumers Want
- Single Sales Compared to Album Sales – musicfordummiescom on The recorded music market in the US, 2000-2014
- About Me
- Article database
- Austrian Music Business Research Association (AMBRA)
- Book Bibliography
- Economics of Music
- Handbooks and dictionaries
- History of the music business/industry
- Label and company history
- Law and music business/industry
- Media and music business/industry
- Music management
- Music marketing
- Structural analysis of the music business/industry (general)
- Structural analysis of the music business/industry (genre-specific)
- International Journal of Music Business Research (IJMBR) – ISSN 2227-5789
- theses & papers
- Vienna Music Business Research Days
- Young Scholars Workshop 2016
- 312,827 hits