Filesharing is made primarily responsible for the decline in sales in the phonographic industry, especially in the CD segment (see the current IFPI Digital Music Report). However, serious research on filesharing behavior (see Huygen et al 2009, Andersen/Frenz 2007, Oberholzer-Gee/Strumpf 2007 (working-paper March 2004), Blackburn 2004) shows that filesharing use does not necessarily have a negative impact on physical and digital sales. But if this is not the case, then there must be other causes for the now decade-long recession. In the following I would like to discuss alternative explanations for the recession in the music industry and try to substantiate them empirically. Continue reading ‘The recession in the music industry – a cause analysis’
- Die Entstehung eines Marktes für „World Music“ – Zusammenfassung des… musikwirtschaftsforschung.wordpress.de/2016/05/31/die… https://t.co/79u3IBQq5t 8 hours ago
- Pandora enlists musicians to beat competition cnb.cx/1sdln3p 3 days ago
- What Apple Music Pays Artists In 42 Different Countries... digitalmusicnews.com/2016/05/24/app… via @digitalmusicnws 3 days ago
- Global Electronic Music Industry, Worth $7.1 Billion Last Year, Sees Growth Slow billboard.com/articles/busin… via @billboard 3 days ago
- Is Exclusivity In Streaming Music Going To Start Seriously Hurting Spotify? via @forbes forbes.com/sites/hughmcin… 3 days ago
- Warner/Chappell extends licensing deal with Times Music in Asia May 31, 2016Times will now represent WC in India, Bangladesh, Pakistan and moreThe post Warner/Chappell extends licensing deal with Times Music in Asia appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- Shamrock readies $250m acquisition fund – and eyes music rights May 31, 2016Both music publishing and master rights opportunities on the tableThe post Shamrock readies $250m acquisition fund – and eyes music rights appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- Warner Music Group just spent $1bn on A&R within 12 months May 31, 2016Major posts highest Q4 and Q1 A&R spend for seven yearsThe post Warner Music Group just spent $1bn on A&R within 12 months appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- BMG launches in Brazil and acquires John Telfer’s Basement May 31, 2016Telfer will serve as MD of BMG Brazil in São PaoloThe post BMG launches in Brazil and acquires John Telfer’s Basement appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- UMG’s $1m Fame House acquisition shows ‘evolution beyond music rights’ May 30, 2016Fame House works with Pearl Jam, Ice Cube and EminemThe post UMG’s $1m Fame House acquisition shows ‘evolution beyond music rights’ appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- Radiohead réinvente encore le marketing musical - Newzikbox on The Radiohead Revolution?
- Honours Project Bibliography | carlsproject on The recession in the music industry – a cause analysis
- Arrrrrr Matey! | Digital Literacies | ENG 553 | Spring B 2016 on The Radiohead Revolution?
- Sources | adams economics on Is Streaming the Next Big Thing? – What Consumers Want
- Single Sales Compared to Album Sales – musicfordummiescom on The recorded music market in the US, 2000-2014
- About Me
- Article database
- Austrian Music Business Research Association (AMBRA)
- Book Bibliography
- Economics of Music
- Handbooks and dictionaries
- History of the music business/industry
- Label and company history
- Law and music business/industry
- Media and music business/industry
- Music management
- Music marketing
- Structural analysis of the music business/industry (general)
- Structural analysis of the music business/industry (genre-specific)
- International Journal of Music Business Research (IJMBR) – ISSN 2227-5789
- theses & papers
- Vienna Music Business Research Days
- Young Scholars Workshop 2016
- 309,963 hits