Filesharing is made primarily responsible for the decline in sales in the phonographic industry, especially in the CD segment (see the current IFPI Digital Music Report). However, serious research on filesharing behavior (see Huygen et al 2009, Andersen/Frenz 2007, Oberholzer-Gee/Strumpf 2007 (working-paper March 2004), Blackburn 2004) shows that filesharing use does not necessarily have a negative impact on physical and digital sales. But if this is not the case, then there must be other causes for the now decade-long recession. In the following I would like to discuss alternative explanations for the recession in the music industry and try to substantiate them empirically. Continue reading ‘The recession in the music industry – a cause analysis’
- Die Musikstreaming-Ökonomie – ein Einblick …sikwirtschaftsforschung.wordpress.com/2017/04/20/die… https://t.co/heyg74CUxk 6 days ago
- Peter Tschmuck im Interview auf Deutschlandradio: Musik im Internet - Das Ende des kostenfreien deutschlandradiokultur.de/musik-im-inter… 1 week ago
- Interview of Peter Tschmuck on Spotify's future on Deutschlandradio fb.me/6cBDdCDCZ 1 week ago
- New Book: The Experience Factor by Geoff Luck musicbusinessresearch.wordpress.com/2017/04/05/new… 2 weeks ago
- You can read the summary of the international workshop on "The Blockchained Music Business" organized by MICA and... fb.me/uFQOhtVk 1 month ago
- Universal Music Group valued at $22bn – three times what it was worth in 2013 April 25, 2017Vivendi top brass reveals that music company has rejected two takeovers in past five years The post Universal Music Group valued at $22bn – three times what it was worth in 2013 appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- BMG inks A&R partnership with Stefan Dabruck, invests in SDM agency April 25, 2017Producer and artist manager becomes consultant to company The post BMG inks A&R partnership with Stefan Dabruck, invests in SDM agency appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- Global recorded music market grew 5.9% in 2016 to $15.7bn April 25, 2017Streaming grows 60.4% as download revenues decline by 20.5% The post Global recorded music market grew 5.9% in 2016 to $15.7bn appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- Kobalt hires Alison Donald as Head of Creative, UK April 24, 2017Former Columbia Records exec teams with fellow British A&R specialist Sas Metcalfe The post Kobalt hires Alison Donald as Head of Creative, UK appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- Concord launches Craft Recordings as its official reissue label April 24, 2017Concord is home to more than 10,000 catalogue masters The post Concord launches Craft Recordings as its official reissue label appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- Publishing – Jake Shaw Music Tech on The Global Music Publishing Market – An Analysis
- Simon Edhouse on The Music Business in the Blockchain
- Digitization, disruption and dematerialization – SERVICE IN INDUSTRY HUB on The recorded music market in the US, 2000-2013
- José Luis López on Ticket Masters – Part 4: Online Ticketing and the Secondary Market
- José Luis López on The recorded music market in the US, 2000-2014
- About Me
- Article database
- Austrian Music Business Research Association (AMBRA)
- Book Bibliography
- Economics of Music
- Handbooks and dictionaries
- History of the music business/industry
- Label and company history
- Law and music business/industry
- Media and music business/industry
- Music management
- Music marketing
- Structural analysis of the music business/industry (general)
- Structural analysis of the music business/industry (genre-specific)
- International Journal of Music Business Research (IJMBR) – ISSN 2227-5789
- theses & papers
- Vienna Music Business Research Days
- Young Scholars Workshop 2017
- 362,470 hits