“Download! How the Internet Transformed the Record Business” by music industry journalist Phil Hardy is a detailed analysis how the majors record companies lost control of the value added chain in the music industry in the digital revolution. He tells the story about self-confident and maybe arrogant music business executives, who had profited from the CD revolution in the 1990s, but were outmanoeuvred by industry outsiders who set up a totally new added value network for recorded music. The once highly profitable record business that attracted investors from other industries in the 1980s and 1990s turned into a laboratory of digitalization with declining record sales, job losses and divestments of pressing plants and distribution networks in the 2000s. “Download!” is, therefore, an important contribution to understand the impact of Internet and new media on the transformation of the recorded music industry.
- Wie Blockchain & Smart Contracts die Musikbranche revolutionieren können: Musikwirtschafts-Jour-fixe am 20.… musikwirtschaftsforschung.wordpress.de/2016/06/05/wie… 2 weeks ago
- Is the Era of Free Streaming Music Coming to an End? pitchfork.com/features/artic… via @pitchfork 3 weeks ago
- Spotify must watch its spending if it wants sympathy from the music biz musicbusinessworldwide.com/spotify-must-w… 3 weeks ago
- Music World Bands Together Against YouTube, Seeking Change to Law nyti.ms/1Usa4NS 3 weeks ago
- Guvera launches $58m IPO attempt – but owes labels millions musicbusinessworldwide.com/guvera-launche… 3 weeks ago
- Warner/Chappell Named Publisher of the Year at ASCAP Rhythm & Soul Awards June 24, 2016WCM songwriters picked up 26 Most Performed Song of the Year awardsThe post Warner/Chappell Named Publisher of the Year at ASCAP Rhythm & Soul Awards appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- Vivendi’s Vincent Bollore to step down as Canal Plus TV Chairman – report June 23, 2016Bollore became Chairman of Canal Plus nine months agoThe post Vivendi’s Vincent Bollore to step down as Canal Plus TV Chairman – report appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- Led Zeppelin cleared in Stairway To Heaven copyright lawsuit June 23, 2016'We look forward to putting this legal matter behind us'The post Led Zeppelin cleared in Stairway To Heaven copyright lawsuit appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- London Gay Men’s Chorus to release charity single in aid of Orlando victims June 23, 2016Proceeds will go to the Orlando Victims Fund and Galop, UK LGBT anti-violence and abuse charityThe post London Gay Men’s Chorus to release charity single in aid of Orlando victims appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- Adele’s 25 is finally on Spotify… seven months after release June 23, 2016Record-breaking album finally arrives on streaming servicesThe post Adele’s 25 is finally on Spotify… seven months after release appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- Radiohead réinvente encore le marketing musical - Newzikbox on The Radiohead Revolution?
- Honours Project Bibliography | carlsproject on The recession in the music industry – a cause analysis
- Arrrrrr Matey! | Digital Literacies | ENG 553 | Spring B 2016 on The Radiohead Revolution?
- Sources | adams economics on Is Streaming the Next Big Thing? – What Consumers Want
- Single Sales Compared to Album Sales – musicfordummiescom on The recorded music market in the US, 2000-2014
- About Me
- Article database
- Austrian Music Business Research Association (AMBRA)
- Book Bibliography
- Economics of Music
- Handbooks and dictionaries
- History of the music business/industry
- Label and company history
- Law and music business/industry
- Media and music business/industry
- Music management
- Music marketing
- Structural analysis of the music business/industry (general)
- Structural analysis of the music business/industry (genre-specific)
- International Journal of Music Business Research (IJMBR) – ISSN 2227-5789
- theses & papers
- Vienna Music Business Research Days
- Young Scholars Workshop 2016
- 312,631 hits