Last year, I posted an analysis of the international music streaming for 2014 based on IFPI numbers. Since then the global streaming market was highly dynamic and therefore I updated my analysis and included also earlier data. In 2015 the global streaming revenue (subscriptions and ad-supported streaming revenue) increased by 42.5 per cent (IFPI 2016: 17) and had a volume of US $2.89bn. The music streaming market is almost as big as the music download market (US $2.97bn) (IFPI 2016: 49). Music streaming, therefore, accounts for 42 per cent of the global recorded music market. However, the market share of music streaming differs between countries. Whereas in Sweden the music streaming market share is 66.5 per cent of the overall recorded music market, in Germany just 11.4 per cent of the recorded music revenue comes from music streaming sources. And Japan, the second largest recorded music market in world, lags behind with meagre 4.6 per cent. In the following, please read an analysis of the international music streaming for the time-span from 2011-2015.
- You can read the summary of the international workshop on "The Blockchained Music Business" organized by MICA and... fb.me/uFQOhtVk 5 days ago
- Spotify to sign new licensing deals with major labels ‘within weeks’? musicbusinessworldwide.com/will-spotify-s… 1 week ago
- Das Musikbusiness in der Blockchain – die Blockchain als Neustart für eine globale Musikrechtedatenbank? …sikwirtschaftsforschung.wordpress.com/2017/03/15/das… 1 week ago
- The Blockchained Music Business – towards a Global Music Rights Database? musicbusinessresearch.wordpress.com/2017/03/15/the… 1 week ago
- ‘I don’t see a YouTube value gap. Over 45% of our revenue from the platform is from UGC’ musicbusinessworldwide.com/over-45-of-our… 1 week ago
- Publishing veteran Pelle Lidell launches EKKO Music Rights Europe March 26, 2017Startup is backed by by powerful Korean music group SM Entertainment Co The post Publishing veteran Pelle Lidell launches EKKO Music Rights Europe appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- Is the record business treating ‘old’ music with the respect it deserves? March 26, 2017BMG boss Hartwig Masuch discusses the industry's 'disproportionate' treatment of catalogue releases The post Is the record business treating ‘old’ music with the respect it deserves? appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- Facebook set to challenge YouTube and Spotify with ‘comprehensive music strategy’ March 24, 2017Mark Zuckerberg's company is hiring for THREE new senior music licensing roles The post Facebook set to challenge YouTube and Spotify with ‘comprehensive music strategy’ appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- If Daniel Ek wants to frighten the major labels, he should step back in time March 23, 2017Why becoming a record label isn't Spotify's golden ticket to profitability The post If Daniel Ek wants to frighten the major labels, he should step back in time appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- We must show people that music is worth more than just ‘consumption’ March 23, 2017TEN Music Group Founder Ola Håkansson discusses breaking artists - including Zara Larsson The post We must show people that music is worth more than just ‘consumption’ appeared first on Music Business Worldwide.
- Simon Edhouse on The Music Business in the Blockchain
- Digitization, disruption and dematerialization – SERVICE IN INDUSTRY HUB on The recorded music market in the US, 2000-2013
- José Luis López on Ticket Masters – Part 4: Online Ticketing and the Secondary Market
- José Luis López on The recorded music market in the US, 2000-2014
- Music Business Research 2016 – in retrospective | Music Business Research on The Recorded Music Market in Germany, 2003-2014
- About Me
- Article database
- Austrian Music Business Research Association (AMBRA)
- Book Bibliography
- Economics of Music
- Handbooks and dictionaries
- History of the music business/industry
- Label and company history
- Law and music business/industry
- Media and music business/industry
- Music management
- Music marketing
- Structural analysis of the music business/industry (general)
- Structural analysis of the music business/industry (genre-specific)
- International Journal of Music Business Research (IJMBR) – ISSN 2227-5789
- theses & papers
- Vienna Music Business Research Days
- Young Scholars Workshop 2017
- 356,486 hits